Monday, May 19, 2008

Mark Wahlberg is Happening...

As you know (or probably don't) M. Night Shyamalan's The Happening hits theatres sometime in 2008. The movie itself looks fairly interesting...at least the first trailer made it look interesting. Plus it's a M. Night flick for fuck's sake. This is what the synopsis says: "A paranoid thriller about a family on the run from a natural crisis that presents a large-scale threat to humanity."

Take from that what you will, the reason why I'm even writing about this is because someone put a review of the flick up on Collider that basically says Mark Wahlberg is a Paul Walker incarnate in this flick. Meaning. . . he's the shittiest actor ever.

Now, I don't know about you, but I like Mark Wahlberg, I always have. He made a star turn in Boogie Nights some years ago, and he was excellent in last years We Own the Night...as well as The Departed and Shooter (I actually liked it). What scares me, is apparently how bad this flick The Happening is. This guy on Collider wrote this:

  • "The Happening is a terrible, terrible movie. I mean, it's bad on an epic scale. It's so bad that I can't possibly tell you how bad it is without understating the point or making it sound like I'm picking on the film. But let me stress: this is not pent-up Shyamalan aggression or a desire to see him fail. This is bad in a jaw-dropping "they can't really be serious, can they?" kind of way. The closest comparison I can draw is to Neil LaBute's Wicker Man and, like that film, the only consolation I can offer potential theater-goers is that you might want to see it just to be in on the ground floor when the film gets its ass handed back to it."
If it's any indication of what's to come this year from Wahlberg, then...we're so fucked. First of all there's a big screen adaption of Max Payne coming out this year and The Lovely Bones by Peter Jackson where he plays the father in one of (what should be) the greatest novel adaptions in a long time, and then there's Darren Aronofsky's The Fighter and the sequel to The Italian Job; The Brazilian Job.

This is what the cat said from that article about Wahlberg's performance: "I'm saying this with no hyperbole, but Wahlberg might very well give the worst performance I've ever seen in anything."

No comments: