Monday, January 14, 2008

Podres, pitcher who clinched Brooklyns only World Series, dies.

Johnny Podres, the left handed pitcher who clinched the Brooklyn Dodgers' only World Series title...died Sunday at the age of 75.

Podres will forever be immortalized for telling his teammates that if they got him a run, they'd win game 7 and the series. Brooklyn actually came back from an 0-2 deficit in that series against The New York Yankees.

Podres retired in '69 at age 36, with a 148-116 record with an ERA of 3.68. He didn't have the greatest numbers, but a former coach summed it up:

"I have said this many times: I've had many good pitchers on my teams during my career, including the best in the business in Sandy Koufax, and I am sure that all these pitchers will agree that if a club had to win one game, it would be (Johnny) Podres that would get the call." - Brooklyn Dodgers General Manager Buzzie Bavasi on Bloomberg.com.

The reason why this pains me guys, is because I sent Podres a card last summer and he sent it back signed.

We here at the BofA...will miss Johnny Podres.

No comments: