Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 ...This is not funny, I apologize.

Firstly, this isn't going to be long, but it's not going to be in the funny variety.



I am a Long Islander. I don't live there anymore, I lived in Nassau County for the majority of my life before moving to Bumfuckville, PA. I lived in New York (Long Island) until 2005, so I was there for the tragic events of September 11th, and I remember it all too clearly.
I was going to school at SUNY Farmingdale and I was in Psychology class when the class let out and everyone went their separate ways. That was the last time I ever went back to SUNY Farmingdale (I have since went to another college), so 9/11 was the straw that broke the camels back - so to speak - and it just piled on top of all the other shit that was going on at that time. Not to trivialize or anything, but 2001 was right after High School. Literally graduated in June and went right to College in September. It might sound normal for most people, but I hated High School. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of school and move on, but I should'nt have jumped into college like that, not me, and that will forever be my mistake.

Like anything else, I hopped into the car (at the time a 88 CSC) and turned on Don & Mike on WNEW. Honestly, having not heard anything, there was news on...No Don & Mike, no nothing. I went home, turned on the TV, and my parents were home and told me about the first tower. Immediately it was like a movie, slow motion, the news was like something out of a disaster flick. Albeit unnerving, but also surreal. I remember watching the news and seeing the plane hit the second tower. It shocked me, it put me in a point where I was scared. As you watched the events unfold, people were leaping out of the building on the top floors and falling to their deaths. It was crazy, absolutely crazy.

This was 7 years ago. Seven years. For the better part of a decade we've been in a war that has no end, because we wanted it, because someone came in and fucked the greatest city up. It's absolutely unbelievable to me that it took a disaster such as 9/11 to bring the world together, and it's sad actually. What's miraculous is that New York City took a fucking beating and it's still standing.

It is, by far, the worst thing that's ever happened in my life time. I hope that it stays that way. I can't imagine something worse than the day 9/11/2001. It literally changed all too much.

No comments: